Flurious is Bill’s third album released April 3, 2012. The album features 12 original progressive pulse solo piano compositions composed and performed by Bill Doerrfeld. A press release announcing the album may be found here. An accompanying score for the album is also available.
Listen to excerpts from Flurious while viewing the score by clicking the video button.
1. Flurious – A 3 minute maniacal flurry based on a riff from Charlie Parker’s Ornithology. The opening riff is developed throughout the work interspersed with jabbing chords, fluttering fills and long runs up and down the keyboard.
2. Can’t Stand It – An impetuous pulse set in a 12/8 groove. The “Can’t Stand It” rhythmical theme is developed throughout.
3. For A While – A smooth offbeat syncopated pulse exploring harmonic development while supporting a languid theme.
4. Every Bit – A hard-edge pulse with incessant “Every Bit” rhythmical motif.
5. Have Another – A “progressive minimalist” work exploring harmonic development on a steady groove.
6. Almost There – A lilting 3/4 piece with rich harmonic palette.
7. Shut Up – A pounding pulse piece with thick harmonic jabs countered by sections of developed harmonic progression culminating in multiple pounding climaxes.
8. In A Day – A gentle habanera pulse piece with thick harmonies and simple theme.
9. Snowgrass Jump – An up-beat amalgam of bluegrass, jazz and minimalism.
10. Over And Over – A contemplative pulse set on “Over And Over” rhythmical motif with tenor voice counter melody.
11. What Is It – An impetuous displacing offbeat pulse with steady moving bass and harmonic progression.
12. Every Day – A stately pulse with lilting melody and rich harmonies.
Album artwork courtesy of NASA/SDO and the AIA, EVE, and HMI science teams.